Current:Home > reviewsLawmakers warn that Biden must seek authorization before further strikes on Yemen’s Houthi rebels -InvestPioneer
Lawmakers warn that Biden must seek authorization before further strikes on Yemen’s Houthi rebels
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 01:59:08
WASHINGTON (AP) — A bipartisan group of lawmakers is raising concerns over a series of recent U.S. military strikes against Yemen Houthi rebels, urging the Biden administration to get congressional authorization before taking further military action in the Middle East.
In a letter to President Joe Biden on Friday, a coalition of nearly 30 House members expressed their strong opposition to what they described as “unauthorized” American strikes that have further escalated the biggest confrontation at sea the U.S. Navy has seen in the Middle East in a decade.
“As representatives of the American people, Congress must engage in robust debate before American servicemembers are put in harm’s way and before more U.S. taxpayer dollars are spent on yet another war in the Middle East,” the letter, led by Rep. Ro Khanna, D-Calif., and Rep. Warren Davidson, R-Ohio, stated. “No President, regardless of political party, has the constitutional authority to bypass Congress on matters of war.”
The lawmakers, who hail from the far-right and far-left of their respective parties, represent a small but growing faction in Congress that is skeptical of the nation’s increasing involvement in the Middle East in recent months.
The White House, for their part, has defended the multiple rounds of airstrikes it has taken in partnership with the United Kingdom since early January in response to what has been a persistent campaign of Houthi drone and missile attacks on commercial ships since the start of the Israel-Hamas war in October.
Since the beginning of the year, Biden has written several times to Congress stating that the strikes have complied with the 1973 War Powers Act. That law, passed during the Vietnam War, serves as a constitutional check on presidential power to declare war without congressional consent. It requires presidents to notify Congress within 48 hours of military action and limits the use of military forces to no more than 60 days unless Congress authorizes force or declares war.
But lawmakers, including a bipartisan group of senators, have said that decades-old statute does not give the president the “blanket authority” to take military action simply by notifying Congress within 48 hours.
The letter from Khanna and Davidson asserts that the notification only stands if the commander-in-chief “must act due to an attack or imminent attack against the United States.” They said the escalating tensions in the Middle East do not rise to that level.
“We ask that your Administration outlines for us the legal authority used to conduct these strikes, and we urge your Administration to seek authorization from Congress before conducting any more unauthorized strikes in Yemen,” the lawmakers wrote.
Biden has stated that the U.S. would continue the strikes against the Houthis, even though so far they have failed to deter the group from further harassing commercial and military vessels in the region.
When asked by reporters last week if he believes the strikes are working, Biden said, “When you say ‘working,’ are they stopping the Houthis? No.”
He added, “Are they going to continue? Yes.”
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- France's Macron flies to New Caledonia in bid to quell remote Pacific territory's unprecedented insurrection
- More books are being adapted into graphic novels. Here's why that’s a good thing.
- Does Adobe Lightroom have AI? New tools offer 'erase' feature with just one click
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Man charged with murder in fatal shooting at Pennsylvania linen company
- Delaware and Tennessee to provide free diapers through Medicaid
- Growing publisher buying 10 newspapers in Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Migrant crossings at U.S.-Mexico border plunge 54% from record highs, internal figures show
Ranking
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Christian Nodal announces split from girlfriend Cazzu: 'I am deeply grateful'
- Rapper Sean Kingston and his mother stole more than $1 million through fraud, authorities say
- Pronouns and tribal affiliations are now forbidden in South Dakota public university employee emails
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Ketel Marte hitting streak: Diamondbacks star's batting average drops during 21-game hitting streak
- Naomi Osaka's message to young Asian players: Embrace your unique backgrounds and cultures
- Inter Miami’s Lionel Messi, Luis Suárez, Sergio Busquets won't play vs. Vancouver Saturday
Recommendation
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
Union leader: Multibillion-dollar NCAA antitrust settlement won’t slow efforts to unionize players
Police response to Maine mass shooting gets deeper scrutiny from independent panel
Judge in hush money trial rejects Trump request to sanction prosecutors
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Beauty Queen Killer Christopher Wilder's Survivor Tina Marie Risico Speaks Out 40 Years Later
U.K. review reveals death toll at little-known Nazi camp on British soil
NCAA women's lacrosse semifinals preview: Northwestern goes for another title