Current:Home > StocksOliver James Montgomery-Prince Harry 'won't bring my wife back' to the UK over safety concerns due to tabloids -InvestPioneer
Oliver James Montgomery-Prince Harry 'won't bring my wife back' to the UK over safety concerns due to tabloids
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 22:55:49
Prince Harry has opened up about how British tabloids' incessant coverage of his life,Oliver James Montgomery some of which involved illegally obtained private information, has caused safety concerns for his family, including his wife, Duchess Meghan.
Speaking to ITV News correspondent Rebecca Barry in the one-hour documentary "Tabloids on Trial," which aired Thursday night in the U.K., the Duke of Sussex for the first time publicly discussed being handed a win in his phone hacking lawsuit against the Daily Mirror's publisher in December, which saw a court award him around $180,000 in damages.
Harry elaborated on his motivations for spearheading the charge against media companies such as publishers for the Daily Mail, The Sun and the Daily Mirror, which he's accused of employing illegal tactics to dig up information for tabloid scoops.
"They pushed me too far. It got to a point where you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't," he said of taking legal action against publishers. "I don't think there's anybody else in the world that is better suited and placed to be able to see this through than myself.
"It's still dangerous and all it takes is one lone actor, one person who reads this stuff, to act on what they have read — and whether it's a knife or acid or whatever it is ... these are things that are a genuine concern for me. It's one of the reasons why I won't bring my wife back to this country."
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
“I'm trying to get justice for everybody," Harry said. "This is a David versus Goliath situation — the Davids are the claimants, and the Goliath is this vast media enterprise."
Prince Harry says 'it's clearly not in my interest' to sue media companies
The duke – who is King Charles' and the late Princess Diana's younger son – also shut down speculation that the lawsuits he has filed were retaliatory.
"It is clear now to everybody that the risk of taking on the press and the risk of such retaliation from them by taking these claims forward, it's clearly not in my interest to do that. Look at what has happened in the last four years to me, my, wife and my family, right?" Harry said. "So that was a very hard decision for me to make, which is: How bad is it gonna get?"
Prince Harry, who made waves by testifying in court last June during his case against Mirror Group Newspapers, is still involved in ongoing cases against Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, which publishes The Sun as well as the now-shuttered News of the World, and Associated Newspapers, publisher of the Daily Mail. Last year, a London High Court judge allowed the duke's lawsuit against NGN to proceed to trial.
The Sun and the Daily Mail have denied accusations of wrongdoing.
Harry claimed employees at the Murdoch-owned tabloids hacked his phone and hired investigators over a period that spanned two decades.
"If I can get to trial, then we're talking over a decade's worth of evidence, most of which has never ever been known to the public," Harry said of the NGN lawsuit. "That's the goal."
He added, "That evidence needs to come to the surface. And then after that the police can make their mind up because this country and the British public deserve better."
Why Harry, Meghan moved to California:'Toxic’ British press 'was destroying my mental health'
Fight against the tabloids is 'a central piece' to 'rift' with royal family
Harry admitted that being so vocal in his fight against British tabloids has impacted his relationship with the royal family, which includes brother Prince William, the heir to the throne.
"It's certainly a central piece to it," he said. "That's a hard question to answer because anything I say about my family results in a torrent of abuse from the press."
Harry continued, "I've made it very clear that this is something that needs to be done. It would be nice if we did it as a family. I believe that, again, from a service standpoint and when you're in a public role that these are the things we should be doing for the greater good. But I'm doing this for my reasons."
"For me, the mission continues," he said. "But it has, yes. It's caused, as you say, part of a rift."
veryGood! (7611)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Prosecutor says McCann made personal use of campaign funds even after fed investigation
- Lab-grown diamonds come with sparkling price tags, but many have cloudy sustainability claims
- Movie Review: Dakota Johnson is fun enough, but ‘Madame Web’ is repetitive and messy
- Trump's 'stop
- The wife of a man charged with killing his 5-year-old daughter says she still cares about him
- Katy Perry Is Leaving American Idol After 7 Seasons
- Suits L.A. Spinoff Casts Stephen Amell as New Star Lawyer, If It Pleases the Court
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Spin the Wheel to See Ryan Seacrest and Aubrey Paige's Twinning Moment at NYFW
Ranking
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Ali Krieger Shares She’s Open to Dating Again After Ashlyn Harris Split
- Police release new sketches of suspected killer of Maryland mom of 5 Rachel Morin
- Mardi Gras beads in New Orleans are creating an environmental concern
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Andy Reid is due for a serious pay bump after Chiefs' Super Bowl win
- 'Anatomy' dog Messi steals Oscar nominees luncheon as even Ryan Gosling pays star respect
- Sweeping bill would expand childcare and early childhood education in Kentucky
Recommendation
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
My Big Fat Fabolous Life's Whitney Way Thore Reveals 100-Pound Weight Loss Transformation
Jon Stewart returns to host 'The Daily Show': Time, date, how to watch and stream
'Madame Web' review: Dakota Johnson headlines the worst superhero movie since 'Morbius'
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Everything you need to know about Selection Sunday as March Madness appears on the horizon
14 Movies, TV Shows and More to Indulge in If You Are Anti-Valentine's Day
Dolly Parton Breaks Silence on Elle King’s Tribute Incident