Current:Home > FinanceFastexy Exchange|Defense seeks to undermine accuser’s credibility in New Hampshire youth center sex abuse case -InvestPioneer
Fastexy Exchange|Defense seeks to undermine accuser’s credibility in New Hampshire youth center sex abuse case
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 21:53:28
CONCORD,Fastexy Exchange N.H. (AP) — Lawyers for a man charged with raping a teenage girl at a youth holding facility in New Hampshire tried to erode the accuser’s credibility at trial Wednesday, suggesting she had a history of lying and changing her story.
Now 39, Natasha Maunsell was 15 and 16 when she was held at the Youth Detention Services Unit in Concord. Lawyers for Victor Malavet, 62, who faces 12 counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault, say she concocted the allegations in hopes of getting money from a civil lawsuit.
Testifying for a second day at Malavet’s trial, Maunsell acknowledged that she denied having been sexually assaulted when asked in 2002, 2017 and 2019. She said she lied the first time because she was still at the facility and feared retaliation, and again in the later years because she didn’t think anyone would believe her.
“It had been so long that I didn’t think anybody would even care,” she said. “I didn’t think it would matter to anyone … so I kept it in for a long time.”
The Associated Press does not typically identify people who say they were sexually assaulted unless they have come forward publicly, as Maunsell has done. She is among more than 1,100 former residents of youth facilities who are suing the state alleging abuse that spanned six decades.
Malavet’s trial opened Monday. It is the first criminal trial arising from a five-year investigation into allegations of abuse at the Sununu Youth Services Center in Manchester, though unlike the other eight men facing charges, Malavet worked at a different state-run facility where children were held while awaiting court disposition of their cases.
Under questioning from defense lawyer Maya Dominguez, Maunsell acknowledged Wednesday that she lied at age 15 when she told a counselor she had a baby, and that in contrast to her trial testimony, she did not tell police in 2020 that Malavet had kissed her or that he had assaulted her in a storage closet. But she denied the lawyer’s claim that she appeared “angry or exasperated” when questioned about Malavet in 2002.
“I appeared scared,” she said after being shown a video clip from the interview. “I know me, and I looked at me, and I was scared.”
Maunsell also rebutted two attempts to portray her as a liar about money she received in advance of a possible settlement in her civil case. After Dominguez claimed she spent $65,000 on a Mustang, Maunsell said “mustang” was the name of another loan company. And when Dominguez showed her a traffic incident report listing her car as a 2021 Audi and not the 2012 Audi she testified about, Maunsell said the report referred to a newer rental car she was given after she crashed the older car.
In the only civil case to go to trial so far, a jury awarded David Meehan $38 million in May for abuse he says he suffered at the Youth Development Center in the 1990s, though the verdict remains in dispute.
Together, the two trials highlight the unusual dynamic of having the state attorney general’s office simultaneously prosecute those accused of committing offenses and defend the state. While attorneys for the state spent much of Meehan’s trial portraying him as a violent child, troublemaking teenager and a delusional adult, state prosecutors are relying on Mansell’s testimony in the criminal case.
veryGood! (48)
Related
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- New Hampshire gets its turn after Trump’s big win in Iowa puts new pressure on Haley and DeSantis
- Shooter who killed 5 people at Colorado LGBTQ+ club intends to plead guilty to federal hate crimes
- Italy’s regulations on charities keep migrant rescue ships from the Mediterranean
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Rhode Island governor says higher wages, better student scores and new housing among his top goals
- Tobacco use is going down globally, but not as much as hoped, the WHO says
- Mike Tomlin plans to return to Steelers for 18th season as head coach, per report
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Why Sofía Vergara Was “Surprised” by Reaction to Joe Manganiello Breakup
Ranking
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- An investigation is underway after police raided the wrong Ohio house, sending baby to ICU
- Peregrine lunar lander to burn up in atmosphere in latest setback to NASA moon missions
- NYPD says 2 officers shot during domestic call in Brooklyn expected to recover; suspect also wounded
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Lindsay Lohan's Dad Michael Slams Disgusting Mean Girls Dig
- In new filing, Trump lawyers foreshadow potential lines of defense in classified documents case
- 'Ideal for extraterrestrial travelers:' Kentucky city beams tourism pitch to distant planets
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Advocacy groups are petitioning for the end of SNAP interview requirements
Officials respond to pipeline leak at Point Thomson gas field on Alaska’s North Slope
Qatar and France send medicine for hostages in Gaza as war rages on and regional tensions spike
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Carlos Beltrán was the fall guy for a cheating scandal. He still may make the Hall of Fame
The Baltimore Sun is returning to local ownership — with a buyer who has made his politics clear
China starts publishing youth jobless data again, with a new method and a lower number