Current:Home > Finance3rd Republican presidential debate is set for Nov. 8 in Miami, with the strictest qualifications yet -InvestPioneer
3rd Republican presidential debate is set for Nov. 8 in Miami, with the strictest qualifications yet
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 20:56:02
The third Republican presidential debate will be held in Miami on Nov. 8, a day after several states hold off-year elections, and candidates will be facing the most stringent requirements yet to take part.
Participating candidates must secure 4% of the vote in multiple polls and 70,000 unique donors to earn a spot on the stage, the Republican National Committee said Friday. Party officials did not immediately respond to inquiries about who would moderate the debate.
Details of the gathering come as the broad GOP field prepares for a second primary debate without their current front-runner. Former President Donald Trump, who also skipped the first debate last month, plans to meet with current and former union workers in Michigan instead of participating in the Sept. 27 debate at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California.
The requirements for the third debate will be more challenging to meet than the second. For the second debate, candidates need at least 3% in two national polls or 3% in one national poll as well as two polls from four of the early-voting states — Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina, according to the RNC. The White House hopefuls must also have at least 50,000 unique donors.
The GOP hasn’t confirmed the qualified participants for Wednesday’s debate, but several campaigns have said they’ve satisfied the marks, including former Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, Sen. Tim Scott, former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, biotech entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy and former Vice President Mike Pence.
North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum and former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson participated in the first debate, but their attendance for the second is uncertain.
The candidates are arranged on stage based on their order in polls that meet standards set by the RNC, with higher performing candidates being closer to center stage.
Scott, who was second from the right edge of the stage for the first GOP debate last month, has proposed the RNC change how it orders the candidates for next week’s debate. In a letter to Chair Ronna McDaniel, Scott’s campaign argued that, since Iowa’s caucus is the leadoff to GOP balloting next year, “polling results from Iowa should be the primary consideration for podium placement at the September debate.”
“The debate committee has had a very thoughtful approach to the entire process, and we continue to welcome input from all candidates, partners and stakeholders,” RNC officials said of Scott’s proposal. “We look forward to hosting another fair and transparent debate stage in Simi Valley.” ___
Associated Press writers Michelle L. Price in New York and Jonathan J. Cooper in Phoenix contributed to this report.
___
Meg Kinnard can be reached at http://twitter.com/MegKinnardAP.
veryGood! (9671)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- New York adulterers could get tossed out of house but not thrown in jail under newly passed bill
- Target announces new name for its RedCard credit card: What to know
- Kansas’ governor and GOP leaders have a deal on cuts after GOP drops ‘flat’ tax plan
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Federal officials send resources to Mississippi capital to curb gun violence
- Germany soccer team jerseys will be redesigned after Nazi logo similarities
- Recipient of world's first pig kidney transplant discharged from Boston hospital
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Police shoot Indiana man they say fired at officers
Ranking
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Man charged with killing 3 relatives is returned to Pennsylvania custody
- Julia Stiles Privately Welcomed Baby No. 3 With Husband Preston Cook
- Officer hired as sheriff’s deputy despite involvement in fatal Manuel Ellis arrest resigns
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- One school district stopped suspending kids for minor misbehavior. Here’s what happened
- South Carolina women's basketball Final Four history: How many titles have Gamecocks won?
- Ticket price for women's NCAA Final Four skyrockets to more than $2,000
Recommendation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Tom Felton Reveals Which Scene He Wishes Made It Into Harry Potter
3 dates for Disney stock investors to circle in April
Lizzo says she's not leaving music industry, clarifies I QUIT statement
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Police say use of racial slur clearly audible as they investigate racist incidents toward Utah team
Monterrey fans chant 'Messi was afraid.' Latest on Lionel Messi after Champions Cup loss.
JetBlue brings dynamic pricing to checking bags. Here's what it will cost you.